Chester Covell ( )
 
B  8 APR 1838 in Vienna, Oneida Co. NY
M
D 1935
C
Nephew of Lyman Goodrich Covell and Jerusha Hollis

Had 3 children but all seem to have died before having children.

Read letters he wrote
Civil War Pension Information:
Civil War service record:

 

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome. Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 30, 1850
 

                                                                                 VIENNA

                           Its Soil -- Timber -- Size -- Inhabitants and their peculiar characteristics.
 

The soil of Vienna is of almost every kind, the east part is light and sandy, requiring a bareful tillage to keep it so as to be productive, the intervales on the numerous streams, a rich aluvial mould; the hills, most of them, a gravelly warm soil; what are called Maple Flats as fine a farming country as is to be often found.  The land on the shores of Oneida Lake make beautiful farms, handsomely located as can be found on any sheet of water in the country.

The timber, on the first settlement of the town consisted of Hemlock, Beach Maple and a heavy growth of Pine; the Pine has been cut off for lumber some years since, and but little of it is left.  There is fine Hemlock yet remaining but is fast being cut into timber for the eastern market.

Vienna lies west of Rome and is divided from it by Fish Creek, Camden north and Oneida Lake West.  Fish Creek Landing, where a large amount of lumber is shipped by the Side Cut Canal, connecting its waters with the Erie Canal at Higginsville in Verona.  There are five Post Offices in the town, the Plank Road from Rome to Oswego, the Rome and Watertown Rail Road, the Plank Road from Fulton by the shore of Oneida Lake to Rome, the Fish Creek and McConnellsville, the New London and Pine Plank Roads all pass through this town in various directions, giving an easy communication to other towns in its neighborhood, and water navigation by Lake, Creek and Canal such as but few towns can boast of.

There are four small villages in its bounds, McConnellsville, Parker's Corners, a neat village with one Church and Store, North Bay, upon the lake shore, and West Vienna on the same.  McConnellsville has two Stores, two Public Houses and one Church.  North Bay is of recent origin, has two Merchants, two Taverns, one Church, a number of Mechanics, a large Tannery now being erected, a good Water Power with three Saw Mills in constant operation giving it the appearance of life and thrift in business.  The town is said to be five miles by twelve and contains by the present census 3,436 inhabitants, there being an increase in five years of 569.

It was settled in 1796 by the Messrs. Halstead, Cook, Graves, Gibbons, Pierce, Jartis, Van Buren, Brodocks, Humiston and others.  Perhaps no town in the county contains so much of the character of the new settlers in a new country as the Viennians do --that kindness of spirit to each other in distress that is proverbial in a new settlement is still retained by them, a community of feeling to each other and to strangers, an openness of heart and hand, considering all men as belonging to one family, no sniveling mean worshiping the Almighty Dollar, the employer and the employed on equal terms, no Mammon caste, each esteeming his neighbor according to worth, their latch string is always out and faults if they have any, are like the vicars of Wakefield "they e'en lean to virtue's side."

A great majority of the inhabitants have for years been engaged in the lumber business, and their knowledge of the world has given them a manner and feeling not often found in a country town.  Long may they retain their generous impulses of feeling and kind heartedness that ennobles them, and bring blessings upon their families and town.